Thursday, 26 December 2013

Boxing Day Quinoa Salad

It feels like a hangover day today, the day after Christmas. We had a delicious dinner last night that was a group effort shared between my husband, my brother and myself, with dessert made by my mother.

I ate (and drank) a little too much last night and I'm feeling the effects today. My poor stomach needs a break, so I decided to make a nice clean salad for today. I make variations of this quinoa salad quite frequently but I decided to add pomegranates for a festive touch of red. I like the fresh crunchy pop it adds; I will definitely be adding them again. The parsley, a left over from last night's meal, added a splash of green in keeping with the Yule season. 

Ingredients for Boxing Day Quinoa Salad:

  • 1 large bowl of cooked quinoa (I use a mixture of red and white quinoa)
  • 1 ripe pomegrante, seeds separated 
  • 1 ripe avocado, cut into small pieces
  • 1 ripe tomato, diced
  • 1 bunch of parsley, finely chopped
  • 2 cups chick peas (I soak mine from dried, then cook them, drain and leave to cool)
  • optional: feta cheese


Dressing:
  • 1/2 cup of fire cider (see my recipe here) - made from apple cider vinegar, onion, garlic, hot peppers, and horseradish
  • 1/2 cup of almond oil (or any cold pressed oil of choice)


Directions:

Add all ingredients into a large bowl, keeping a small handful of parsley aside. Whisk together the dressing ingredients then add to bowl. Gently mix salad to incorporate dressing. Add additional parsley for garnish. Enjoy!




1 comment:

  1. looks so yummers...I am starting to use fresh pomegranate too...adds such a burst to the winter blahs.

    ReplyDelete